The Stop the Money Pipeline coalition held a launch webinar on February 9th for a National Day of Action during the 3 days of deep strikes and actions during Earth Week in April of 2020. Our goal is to stop the funding of climate destruction. That means banks, insurance companies, and investors need to stop funding fossil fuels and deforestation and start respecting human rights and Indigenous sovereignty. Our panelists will talk about how fossil fuel finance affects frontline communities, the basics of the divestment campaigns for each of the targets and why this is so important to climate justice and how you can take action in your local community for the biggest finance campaign of 2020. Learn more at StopTheMoneyPipeline.com
On Friday, January 10, a coalition of over a dozen groups launched a major new mobilization, Stop the Money Pipeline, targeting the financial sector’s funding of climate chaos. Stop the Money Pipeline targets Big Banks, Big Investors, and Big Insurance. The top three targets are Chase Bank (largest funder of fossil fuels); Black Rock ($7 Trillion asset manager with over $88 billion in fossil fuels); and Liberty Mutual Insurance.
Like other corporations, JPMorgan Chase, Blackrock, Liberty Mutual and other Wall Street financial institutions are sensitive to public opinion. They have brands to protect, and customers to retain. When we unveil their complicity in the destruction of our climate, we threaten their cherished profits, and ability to attract customers. And, the more we are able to do this, the more we are able to increase the reputational risk -- and thus financial risk -- that the finance sector takes on in financing new fossil fuel projects. If we can stop the flow of money, we can stop the flow of oil.
- Sign up at stopthemoneypipeline.com
- Register your action starting February 17th, 2020.
- Email questions to email@example.com
- Bill McKibben, Founder - 350.org
- Sulakshana, Energy Finance Campaigner - Rainforest Action Network
- Nadia Vitek, Student Organizer with Cornell Climate Justice, Divest Ed
- Tara Houska, Founder - Gin’ew Collective
- Tamara Toles O'Laughlin, North America Director - 350.org
- Moira Birss, Climate & Finance Director - Amazon Watch
- Jason Opeña Disterhoft, Climate and Energy Senior Campaigner - Rainforest Action Network
- Liz Butler - Vice President Organizing and Strategic Alliances Friends of the Earth
This webinar has already passed, but you can watch the video recording!